Sunday, August 15, 2010

Let me tell you about my skin.

This summer, my skin has seemed to become allergic to the sun and my face breaks out in a sort of rash every time I get sunburned.
I am not ok with it.
But I also dont know what to do because I get the feeling my aquaphor isn't making things better.
It usually does.
My latest reaction has made me think about all my skin has put me through over the years.
I cant recreate all of them for you, but here are some highlights...


In high school, we went to California for a cheerleading competition, and they put GLUE on our EYES so the glitter would stay.was this a good idea or even necessary?
apparently.
and this is the best pic I could find to show you what they did to our eyes.
(and maybe I also wanted you to show you our awesome fergilicious outfits).

Consequently, the next morning my eyes had an allergic reaction and were swollen shut.
I iced, called my dermatologist (who i have become very close to over the years), and then resorted to aquaphor... by the handful... for the rest of the week on my eyes.
it's the only thing that helped.
this pic was taken a few days later.
the first few days people had a hard time looking at me.
all they could say was "you look awful..."
and not even in a "you really do look bad you should stay in your room" way, more in a "you like like you're in pain and i feel bad there is nothing i can do for you" sort of way.
I'll spare you looking at those.
Why I was not wearing sunglasses and still allowing for pictures to be taken of me, we will never know.

Oh and I also had a gash on my noes from falling on my face practicing right before our competition.
Just to add to the drama of my situation.
and no, my skin also does not heal.

... The next year, senior year, I went on acutane.
And, of course, like I always do, I overestimated my skin and went ahead and got my eyebrows waxed because, come on, homecoming was coming up.
Ya, awesome idea, I know.
The next morning... as you might have guessed... my eyes were swollen shut.
and it was worse than the first time.if that is possible.
My mom took one look at me and said "Oh honey, you dont have to go to school today."
but unfortunately i still had to go to my first period.. cheerleading... you dont miss that unless your on your death bed. sue lu ran a tough ship over at BHS.
I literally couldnt see five feet in front of me, but I went.
And they gasped, literally had to cover their mouths when they saw me (and remember, they were all there the first time).
And again, all I could do was take a few days off of school, call Dr. Williams (I have his cell programmed in my phone for emergencies now...) and resort to aquaphor, because it heals all things, including my crazy skin diseases.
Anyways, if you are still there, the point of my story is this...

choose aquaphor.
i dont know how, but it does heal everything (almost everything).
give it a try.
or at least keep it handy.. if only for emergencies.
(it comes in all sizes)

also if you think you have sensitive skin,
trust me, I feel your pain.

and holly, you're right... posting semi (or completely) unattractive pictures of myself is kind of liberating.
you guys can try it if you want.

3 comments:

  1. I do recall this lovely adventure of your sensitive skin. I have found that vanicream (a lotion) works fab on my little boys way sensitive skin. You have to get it at the pharmacy, but you don't need a prescription. And come on, cheerleading wasn't that bad was it?
    love- Cam Dawg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. thanks for the tip cam dawg... and i should have prefaced with the fact that we had the best coaches ever... because we did.
    and, come on, if you weren't tough with us we would have been off the wall, all the time (even though we were anyways..) and NEVER have gotten ANYTHING done.
    we love you guys. you know that:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad pics online are the best. And thanks for the tip...never even HEARD of Aquafor before...

    Yeah, I NEVER missed cheerleading. Funny how that took priority over REAL classes every single time. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete